Saturday, March 03, 2012

Walking in the Rain Will Not Kill You

 Have your parents ever restricted you from walking in the rain or tell you not to drink iced water? If they have not then good, you’re lucky. However if they have, then this article will be beneficial to you. I was and still am being told not to get wet in the rain because I may catch the flu. This is far from true and there are no claims to substantiate this. Although walking in thunderstorms is a different thing altogether*





** I may not be a medical doctor but I believe I did learn enough in school to know that the flu is caused by viruses i.e. bird flu (H5N1) and also the famous demam babi or A H1N1. Some argue that it is because the rain weakens you immune system and makes you more prone to catching the flu. I do not believe that this is something that has been proven.  I can tell you that I have not gotten sick from getting wet in the rain, ever.

Not too sure if you have heard the one where they say that you get pneumonia from bathing and sleeping right after. Still trying to find out how they coined that one.

Another thing that annoys me is the argument that drinking iced water makes you catch flu. Again, show me the evidence and I might be convinced. I have drank iced water almost all my life and not gotten sick as compared to people drinking volcano hot drinks getting sick from the flu every month. It absolutely annoys me when arguments are made without any solid proof.

Please do not take my writing as the gospel truth but if you are willing to prove me wrong, I am more than happy to agree with you if you can show me some amount of proof. I believe if you doubt something, ask and do some amount of research and do not just believe what people tell you; in the words of Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman, “When in doubt… fuck!” So go out there… get wet in the rain and go ahead and enjoy that nice ice cold drink; as a matter of fact, enjoy it in the rain!

*don’t mess with lightning! Nuff’ said!

** The part about not walking in the rain is purely out in rain water and not to be confused with playing in a flood. Playing in a flood can do 4 things:
  1.  Kill you by washing you away through strong currents
  2. Make you sick and also potentially kill you by waterborne bacteria such as leptospira that causes  leptospirosis.
  3. Get eaten by a crocodile
  4. Friends drowning you because you’re an arse

So yeah, they were at least right about playing in flood water.

No comments: