Sunday, September 18, 2011

Movie Review: Nasi Lemak 2.0 (Mandarin/Cantonese/Malay/Tamil/English)

Nasi Lemak 2.0 is a movie by Namewee (Negarakuku fame). It is his directorial debut and packs a star studded cast. This movie took 2 years to make and is a through and through comedy. The movie was endorsed by Dato Seri Nazri Aziz as a 1Malaysia film.Namewee has taken a great leap forward from doing controversial rap music to short films i.e. Potong Saga (15Malaysia) to directing and acting. The film stars big names in the local industry such as Adibah Nor, Afdlin Shauki, Datuk David Arumagam, Patrick Teoh, Pete Teo, Namewee, Reshmonu and many more.

I bought the tickets today to watch the movie with my wife even before I had watched the trailer. This movie was a must watch on my list because it is by Namewee and it is a Malaysian film. I wasn't too concerned about the language of the film because it had a multiracial cast and I was pretty sure it would have subtitles.

I would give this movie 2 thumbs up; if I had more hands, I would probably give more thumbs up! This movie is nothing short than awesome! For a first time director, Namewee has done an excellent job both directing and acting.

The movie delivers a very strong message and should not be viewed from an extremist point of view.The movie has a good storyline and it maintains a good pace. There are no unnecessary scenes and illogical moments.

Even though the movie may be in Madarin and other Chinese dialects, I was able to understand it as even the subtitles were funny! It is not easy making a film that would appeal to all in a foreign language. By the way I say foreign because I do not understand any Chinese language or dialect other than Hokkien.

The movie is very funny and it is not slapstick funny but innuendo/referential style funny. Albeit the one too many penis references, this movie has done justice!My only regret in the movies is that Pete Teo's role is too small.

I am not going to say anything more than that to compromise the movie.Please watch this movie in the cinema and please I beg you; please do not stream/download The movie or buy a pirated copy! The movie is definitely worth your cost.

Support the local industry, they have children to feed too!

Note: if you are a racist (fucking) bigot, this movie is not for you and stop calling for it to be banned!


1 comment:

Nan Kim Khoo said...

I agree that this Nasi Lemak 2.0 movie is worth the ticket Price.

Well made and no unnecesary boring scene to slow the pace of the movie.

I like the name given to Patrick Teoh. You need to understand mandarin to understand the reference it made.